Mindfulness is the psychological process of bringing one’s attention to experiences occurring in the present moment, which one can develop through the practice of meditation.
Mindful Meditation: Bringing one’s complete attention to the present experience on a moment-to-moment basis
There have been lots of attention being paid to meditation and living in the moment recently. If this sparks your attention, but you are not sure how to meditate or practice mindfulness, here is a great way to begin.
- Sit comfortably
- Notice what your legs are doing
- Straighten your upper body—but don’t stiffen
- Notice what your arms are doing
- Soften your gaze or close your eyes
- Feel your breath enter and exit your lungs
- Notice when your mind wanders from your breath
- Be kind about your wandering mind, some days will be better than others, start with 10 minutes and then increase as you become more focused and mindful.
Being mindful and practicing meditation has so many benefits from reducing stress and anxiety, being a happier person, and even a healthier brain!